ABOUT THE WEBINAR
The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) is part of HHS’s Regulatory Sprint to Coordinated Care. This new change to HIPAA seeks to promote value-based health care by examining federal regulations that impede efforts among health care providers and health plans to better coordinate care for patients. The proposed changes to the HIPAA Privacy Rule include strengthening individuals’ rights to access their own health information, including electronic information; improving information sharing for care coordination and case management for individuals; facilitating greater family and caregiver involvement in the care of individuals experiencing emergencies or health crises; enhancing flexibilities for disclosures in emergency or threatening circumstances, such as the Opioid and COVID-19 public health emergencies; and reducing administrative burdens on HIPAA covered health care providers and health plans, while continuing to protect individuals’ health information privacy interests. Join Iliana Peters, Former Acting Deputy Director for HIPAA with HHS, and Joe Licata, COO and General Counsel for HealthMark Group, as they explore the new rule and identify the 7 things you need to know to ensure your practice is prepared.
The hosts will address each of the following areas related to the recent NPRM from December:
- A high-level overview of the changes proposed by the NPRM and the areas HHS is trying to address
- Proposed changes to the Individual Right of Access
- Verification requirement adjustments as imposed by covered entities
- Proposed revisions to the “minimum necessary” standards
- Proposed changes to publication requirements of a covered entities privacy practices
- Areas where the NPRM eases burdens on covered entities and some areas that may increase burden on covered entities
- Potential changes to fee rules based on the new NRPM
- Expanded permissions for disclosures of certain PHI
- Timelines, what’s next, what you can do, and a general “what does it all mean” discussion
LMGMA webinars are approved for 1.0 CE credit hour of LIVE learning from MGMA state for those attending the live session.
LMGMA Webinars are approved for 1.0 CE credit hour from MGMA state for on-demand listening.
LMGMA Webinars are approved for 1.0 CE credit hour from AAPC for those attending the live session.
MGMA LA webinars are FREE for members! You must be logged in to register.($75 non members)